Thursday, June 4, 2009

HOW TO LISTEN TO GARBAGE



Well… well… well… there you are my bored, lonely and disoriented mammalian pupils of mine. Our lesson for today is about music.

My greatest love for blues is the high priestess Nina Simone, I felt for her. Though she is categorized as jazz singer still the feel of her songs are very blues. She is the only diva who would stop in the middle of her singing because she doesn’t feel like finishing it. I’ve come to know her from a far distant past when I used to work in an AM radio station (DWWW am 774 stereo) for four years as a traffic officer, working with Sir Vic Morales (One of the pillars of radio in the Philippines) I’ve come to know a lot of fabulous and beautiful artists of the old world as our programming is all about beautiful music from the past… well anyway, during those times when all my Romeos abandoned me she is always my background music, It feels like I’m in a heartbreaking movie. Unrequited love and untold love stories are more fabulous when Nina Simone’s wails are the soundtrack. Her live rendition at Montruex Jazz Festival during 1976 of “Feelings” is heart-wrenching though funny because she kept on forgetting the lyrics but she managed to get away from it because she plays the piano flawlessly. Her rendition of Frank Sinatra’s “My Way” is oh so lovely, lonely but classy too… Songs like “Turn me on, For a while, The Other Woman, Ain’t got no/ I got life, Mr. Bojangles and Do what you gotta do” are among my favorites. When you want to drain all you negative feelings and your bleeding heart, then listen to Nina Simone… God bless her soul, she died on 2003.

I started listening to alternative music since I join the activist world as an effigy artist which I literally called street art… and that is during my rebellious days when am still lost, aggressive and trying to fit in. Anyway among my favorites during that time are “The Smiths, The Plan, and Belle and Sebastian” and still are. I fell in love with “The Smiths” when “Agee” a punk friend of mine give me a copy of their first album, the fiercely intellectual lyrics of the Smiths don’t matter to me that time because I only like the melody, but now I can relate to them specially that song “Please, please, let me get what I want”… The Smiths releases their first album on year 1984 and I get to know them during the late 90’s… God talking about age? Among my favorites “Death of a Disco Dancer and Heaven knows am miserable now".
Belle and Sebastian’s album “Push barman to open old wounds” is very nice specially “Beautiful, Jonathan David, I love my car and Century of fakers”. The melody of their music is so friendly and warm despite the heavy, articulate and very sharp lyrics. I love the way they incorporate trumpets with other instruments in their music. It’s just so homey and cozy… I love it… I love it… I love it…

Among the alternative pop rock I love are Natalie Merchant, Rilo Kiley and Shirley Manson. Natalie Merchant comes a long, long, way since she left her band 10,000 maniacs on 1993. Albums like “Tigerlily” and “Ophelia” are among my favorites. Her music is very expiremental and poetic which is very evident in her album “Motherland”.

The ever rebellious Rilo Kiley makes you think deeply if you listen to her, Songs like “Picture of success”, “Always” and “Don’t deconstruct” were my favorite from her album “Take-offs and Landings”. Her music resonates some of “Belle and Sebastian’s” melody and tune but more playful.

And then there’s Shirley Manson whom a long time ago I thought was the daughter of Marilyn Manson, the fact that their names have both L and Y with it… Shirley is the lead singer from the band “Garbage” before they went hiatus on 2006; I rediscovered them again a week ago when I tried to compiled all the music in my computer. Then I began to hear that familiar voice of “Stupid Girl”, “Milk”, “Why do you love me?” and “Special”. I love the video of “Special” where she played Queen Astarte defending her empire. The video is quite detached from the song she’s singing. I love everything about it from her furred tangerine vest and black charol mini skirt while flying a space fighter reminiscent of Voltes V air escapades… Love it… love it… love it… Garbage music is so edgy, intelligent and honest. If you remember her video of “The world is not enough” the soundtrack from that movie, It was so beautiful when two Shirley’s meet each other; One is the android terrorist Shirley who killed the real diva Shirley and continue to perform the concert with a ticking bomb inside her android body and the video ends in explosion. In her last video “Tell me where it hurts” from the album “Absolute Garbage” she is so stunning from her make-up to that dominatrix outfit… she’s a bitch and I love it so much that I listen to that same song over and over again… its sounds pervertly sexy and lonely.

Okay with mainstream pop there’s of course the mother Madonna the all time gay icon, then Kylie Minogue the old time gay icon, Mariah the all time transgendered icon, I also like crazy Macy Gray love her in Spiderman even if it’s just a cameo and then there’s the lonely voice of Eva Cassidy who died of cancer long before her songs became popular. As for the locals I always love Ogie Alcasid with his modern “kundiman” renditions of his songs and compositions, Yeah Eheads as like everyone else, Cinderella is timelessly fun and easy to listen, Some of Regine’s song I don’t like it when she starts to hit the high note sometimes it gets irritating and difficult to listen but nevertheless she’s good. And for the new artist I love “Adele”, “Nosettes”, “The Ting Tings” who sounds so 80’s, “Lenka” and of course Susan Boyle…

How to listen to Garbage (music)

Listen to the melody… Music is like a living organism to me, the melody is the soul and the lyric is the physical aspect. Without the melody the lyrics is just an essay. Melody can exist on its own you can listen to it without the lyrics. These is very evident in the law of Multiplex and Minus One where we only hear the melody… like Instrumental as well, if you remember Richard Clayderman, His “Ballade pour Adeline” which is the main theme for “Lovingly Yours” hosted by the late Helen Bela.

Understand the lyrics…
Here the law of Videoke applies, there’s no need in explaining it’s very clear how we become so agitated if the lyrics is gone. Lyric is really a poem mostly about unrequited love… that is why I love listening to alternative music because they not only write about love, they also write about moral and social relevant issues.

Appreciate the interpretation… yeah after you listen to Regine for an hour you’ll understand what I mean.

Try to identify…
the different kind of instruments that are used in this way you can appreciate the music better. You remember when in highschool and we have that stupid dance demonstration during fiesta where in the teacher in charge would always tell us to wait for the second drumbeat after the intro of music, and I hate it so much because I cannot identify what drumbeat is that… yeah talking about highschool. Anyway I always like it if they incorporate trumpets with music it’s so grand.

Well… well… well… the bell rings already... That’s it for today… I forgot to make an exam for all of you… Have a nice weekend mah darhlings… mwah… mwah… mwah...

1 comment:

Gayzha said...

Ha,ha,ha.... Miss Bubbles ang galing galing mong magkwento... relate na relate aketch!