Tuesday, December 16, 2008

HOW TO GIVE ALMS AND GIFTS




Well… well… well… am back on my feet literally my dear expectators and audiences, after that harrowing “gout” episode of mine last 10 days ago. Because I was away for a while emails, invitations and comments piles-up and a lot of you my expectators beg me to write about gift giving. I cannot do that because my laptop is not yet delivered to me. I don’t know what happened…

To begin with we should know first how was gift-giving first developed. Gift-giving comes from the greek tradition called Xenia. Xenia is the concept of hospitality, or generosity courtesy shown to those who are far from home. It is often translated as "guest-friendship" (or "ritualized friendship") because the rituals of hospitality created and expressed a reciprocal relationship between guest and host. So these include giving the host a preserve meat or anything that might be useful for both parties. The custom of gift then went on to the Roman festival of the Kalends and took place on the first of January during the Winter Solstice. The Roman Emperor received gifts from his administration, as required. Then In the modern times the gift giving tradition was started by St. Nicholas giving gifts to orphan and poor children which was carried on now every Christmas as tradition.

Well… so much about history…. As I ponder over some unopened gifts given to me since last year and over the years, It makes me wonder why people give gifts and alms to each other for no reason at all. Maybe its just Christmas; or maybe it’s a form of atonement to oneself, Or a form of empowering oneself to overpower the lesser creature in front of you, Or it might be a form of insecurity where one pleases people with things and gifts, Or it might be you giving gifts to gain “utang na loob”, or again it might be a form of control --- like “I’ve got you because I give you shelter, alms and gifts…I remember a very remote, lonely x-friend of mine who would shower one’s friends with everything, alms and gifts but when disagreement and crisis came he would lash everything back to you and ask to return all the gifts he gives to you…

And as for alms I remember one time that changes my outlook in giving gifts and alms; I was on a taxi way back seven years ago in EDSA near the GMA station corner the now closed Chicos bar. The taxi is immobile as the red light is on, with burger in hand, I look up at the big billboards but as I was about to bite my first munch, a very dirty and poor little street boy is tapping on the glass window signaling me to give him something and out of kindness I open the window and give him the burger that am going to eat but to my surprise he throw it back to me… he wants money!!! And I was so pissed off that since then I never give alms to street children anymore.

Heniway… for whatever reason sincere and true “Gift Giving” in any form is an act of pure kindness and generosity, an act of pure abandon and unconditional expression of oneself to others but that depends on your status in life. If you’re rich you’re the one giving alms and gifts but if you’re poor you beg or by service hehehehe… well that’s the reality of it all. It’s always up to you if you want to beg and service everyone forever or stand up and become the gift giver instead.

So here we go…

How to give alms and gifts

List… In doing your list during a Christmas gift giving, Think of things that people need not about fancy things on your list. Gone are the days when you give anything for souvenirs, people now wants what they need. The idea behind this is that your friends and family are less likely to give you gifts that lie idle and unused through the year. Instead they offer you gifts that you really need and that you know you will use. This saves you money because you do not have to buy those things yourself and it makes the giver feel good because they know their gift has been worthwhile. Akalain mo nagkaroon ka nang perculator kahit di mo alam gamitin.

Ask… the best thing to make you save time and effort is to ask the person what they really want, I know it lessens the surprise element of gift giving… but it gives you time to think and save if ever you really give into what they want and can choose something similar to what they want if ever its expensive. Tsaka wala namang masama pag magtanong.

Recycle… it’s a nice thought recycling gifts for practicality’s sake but choose the one that can really be a gift and give it to someone who really needs it. Hey not that plastic bottles you’re holding… hmmmp…

Wrap… as oppose to the saying that it’s the inside of the gift box that is important more than the wrappings…. No… no… no… that’s a big wrong notion. There’s more to wrapper than just a wrapper. With creativity and proper choice of colors and theme it will give you as the giver an impression of who you really are. Makabalot lang kayo nang wrapper na merong xmas design check na… no sa akin yan di ko tatanggapin. And to the extreme try using designers paper bag and stuff your gift in there even if its preserve meat.

Give… a little luxury item, it need not be expensive, in your gift giving. This should be aimed at those ’special’ people in your life … you know who they are. Give these people a little luxury item that serves to express your thoughts or feelings about them and how much you value their being in your life.; even if it means a week of noodles and eggs in your stomach.

As for alms giving don’t ever give it to them directly or if you give, refrain from giving money to them as much as possible, food and drinks are good and clothing too. That’s it for gift giving… honestly I don’t really fond of giving gifts but I love receiving gifts. I love giving to donations to the charities and orphanage.


That’s all expectators… I still need to drink my drugs…. Mwahhh!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

haneps! finally nakita ko na rin ang blog mo, mikee :-) happy!

pinakiki-notify ka po ni miss geraldine na buksan mo daw email mo kasi meron siyang email re your FEU friends.

yun lang po. link kita sa blog ko ha?

Miss Bubbles Cojuanco said...

Hi noldie,

how can i contact you... di ko ma-open ang blog link mo...

PLEASE!!! AM DYING TO SEE MY FRIENDS IN MY OLD ALMA MATER...